Am I doing what’s right? “Am I doing what is right?” This is the question many coaches ask at the end of a season. Many try to justify the answer with wins and losses, but that is a futile pursuit. Instead, here are six questions that will help determine the “Real” success of your season:
1. Was there Honor – respect, value and worth?
2. Was it Safe – physically, emotionally, and socially?
3. Was there Discernment – constantly teaching right from wrong?
4. Were there Relationships? engaging, genuine, supportive?
5. Was there a Pursuit of Excellence – pressure and release in order to encourage and improve?
6. Was there Joy – deep satisfaction beyond the wins and losses?
Is your program structured around these questions? As one who has been entrusted to lead and coach players, may you be able to answer those questions with truth and integrity.
Reflect on these six questions to determine if you did what was right this season.
If you can answer yes to those questions, you have found what it means to truly be successful, and know that you did it “The Right Way.”
Remember, Character Matters.